The Trident is a major river in the riverlands of the Seven Kingdoms. Made of numerous smaller tributaries, it is one of the largest rivers on the continent of Westeros. It is a confluence of three main forks: the Red, the Green and the Blue, which join west of Lord Harroway's Town and the crossroads and eventually flow into the Bay of Crabs. Saltpans and the Quiet Isle are located at the mouth of the Trident.
In peacetime, the forks of the Trident are the easiest way to move goods and men across the riverlands, and they can be filled with poleboats. The ruby ford and the Twins are two of the major crossings over the rivers. The rivers are effective barriers during wartime.
The Red Fork of the Trident is wide and slow, a meandering river of loops and bends dotted with tiny wooded islets and frequently choked by sandbars and snags. Upstream from Riverrun, the river makes a wide loop and the waters become shallower and muddier. Along the Red Fork the west bank is higher than its eastern bank. The lands of House Bracken lie south of the Red Fork, while those of House Blackwood are north of it. The Mummer's Ford is a crossing of the river. Riverrun and Sallydance sit along the Red Fork, and Red Deer Island is located in the river. South of the Inn of the Kneeling Man, the river is broad but shallow. Its banks are all mud and reeds.
North of the inn at the crossroads, the kingsroad travels along the Green Fork of the Trident, through fertile valleys and green woodlands, past thriving towns and the castles of the river lords. From the ruby ford on the Trident until the Twins, the seat of House Frey, there is no crossing the river. At the Twins, the Green Fork runs deep and swift.
Seagard lies near the headwaters of the Blue Fork. Two towns, Ramsford and Fairmarket, lie on the Blue Fork. In order to get around the Blue Fork when it swells its banks, one must travel through Sevenstreams and Hag's Mire. The Blue Fork's headwaters are smaller waterways such as rills and brooks beyond Sevenstreams.
Harwyn Hoare, King of the Iron Islands, conquered the Trident from Arrec Durrandon by using ironborn longships to quickly move about the territory. The lords of the Trident rebelled against Harren Hoare, King of the Isles and the Rivers, during the War of Conquest, however. After the burning of Harrenhal, Aegon the Conqueror named Edmyn Tully his Lord Paramount of the Trident.
The inn at the crossroads once was located next to the Trident. It became known as the River Inn, since at that time the river flowed beneath its back door and half the rooms were built out over the water. It was said that the inn's guests could throw a line out their window and catch fish. There was also a ferry landing at the inn, where travelers could cross to Lord Harroway's Town and Whitewalls. However, c.220AC-230AC, the course of the river moved, flowing miles south of the inn.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
For his service in allying House Tyrell with House Lannister and House Baratheon of King's Landing, Lord Petyr Baelish receives the title Lord Paramount of the Trident, replacing Lord Hoster Tully as liege lord of the riverlands according to the Iron Throne.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A great pack of wolves hunts near the Trident.
References and Notes
- Ziemie Lodu i Ognia.
- Uczta dla Wron, Rozdział 12, Cersei III.
- Nawałnica Mieczy, Rozdział 1, Jaime I.
- Świat Lodu i Ognia, The Riverlands.
- Starcie Królów, Rozdział 39, Catelyn V.
- Starcie Królów, Rozdział 45, Catelyn VI.
- Starcie Królów, Rozdział 2, Sansa I.
- Księżniczka i Królowa.
- Nawałnica Mieczy, Rozdział 11, Jaime II.
- Starcie Królów, Rozdział 27, Daenerys II.
- Starcie Królów, Rozdział 55, Catelyn VII.
- Starcie Królów, Rozdział 59, Tyrion XIII.
- Starcie Królów, Rozdział 63, Daenerys V.
- Nawałnica Mieczy, Rozdział 45, Catelyn V.
- Świat Lodu i Ognia, The Conquest.
- Uczta dla Wron, Rozdział 37, Brienne VII.
- Gra o Tron, Rozdział 4, Eddard I.
- Gra o Tron, Rozdział 15, Sansa I.
- Gra o Tron, Rozdział 62, Tyrion VIII.
- Gra o Tron, Rozdział 71, Catelyn XI.
- Starcie Królów, Rozdział 65, Sansa VIII.
- Nawałnica Mieczy, Wystąpił błąd w drugim parametrze.
- Nawałnica Mieczy, Rozdział 47, Arya IX.
- Nawałnica Mieczy, Rozdział 49, Catelyn VI.
- Uczta dla Wron, Rozdział 27, Jaime III.
- Nawałnica Mieczy, Rozdział 74, Arya XIII.
- Uczta dla Wron, Rozdział 25, Brienne V.
||Ten artykuł lub sekcja jest nieprzetłumaczony. Możesz pomóc Wiki „Pieśni Lodu i Ognia” przetłumaczyć go.|